Mastering the Interoperability Challenge
The IHIC is a forum for implementers and scientists to present and discuss concepts, models and implementations for innovative interoperable e-Health solutions. The conference aims to play the role of an interface between science, research and practice with regards to interoperability in the health and social care domain to share experiences and best practices. It will present scientific papers on the one hand and demonstrations, practice reports, success and failure stories on the other hand.
Based on the good experiences gained at former IHICs, the conference will start with some Tutorials included in the IHIC registration fee, pushing the dissemination of knowledge about HL7 globally. Furthermore, we plan a workshop to update on the status of projects HL7 is involved nationally, regionally and globally. As every year, one highlight of the conference will be the announcement of the “Joachim W. Dudeck Award” for the best paper of a young author. More details can be found at the end of this Call.
11 July 2018
- 12:30-16:30: Tutorials & Workshop
- 16:45-17:30: Opening session with Address of Welcome and Keynote Speaker
- From 18:30: Social event at the HMS Warrior
12 July 2018
- 09:00-17:00 Main Conference with paper, report as well as short abstract presentations, and the Joachim W. Dudeck Award Ceremony
The intended audience encompasses all who have developed, implemented, investigated, or otherwise used any HL7 standards or worked with related health and social care interoperability challenges.
Implementers and Users
We invite implementers (representing healthcare providers and software vendors) to present their implementation experiences, success stories, requirements needs, assessments of standards, etc.
All suggested proposals will be reviewed by the Programme Committee to ensure a good quality as well as a balanced series of presentations. In order to facilitate evaluation and dissemination of these experiences, attendees are requested to submit short practice reports, possibly also allowing that their presentations be recorded. The practice reports will be published as part of the local conference proceedings on the conference website after the meeting.
Scientists and Researchers
We invite scientists to submit papers to be presented in the conference and be published in the IHIC 2018 Special Issue of the European Journal for Biomedical Informatics.
All papers will be reviewed by at least two independent reviewers. Out of the accepted contributions, selected papers will be published in the IHIC 2018 Special Issue of the European Journal for Biomedical Informatics, while the others, classified as reports or short abstracts, will be published on the IHIC 2018 Website.
The best scientific paper by a young author (less than 35 years of age) will be awarded with the “Joachim W. Dudeck Award” (see the final page of this announcement for details).
Papers should contribute to health and social care interoperability, such as the following non-exclusive list of topics:
- The advancement of interoperability
- Harmonization of interoperability standards and specifications among different SDOs
- Terminology and ontology challenge of interoperability
- Concepts and frameworks for Smart Interoperability Infrastructure Services
- Local, regional or national Electronic Health Record solutions
- Business Intelligence and Clinical Decision Support
- Security, safety and privacy
- Specification and implementation tools
- FHIR and CDA – controversy, coexistence, or synergy?
- “Show me your CDA” – CDA implementations at all levels
- Creating new clinical and integrated care pathways through effective information exchange
- Enabling patient and healthcare providers to interact in the new digital economy (mhealth, Internet of Things, cloud computing and many more)
- Handling patient consent and electronic identity in distributed healthcare settings
Submission and Format
Manuscripts must not exceed 5000 words and must strictly follow the instructions for authors (EJBI Template) available here.
Papers are to be submitted electronically at the IHIC Submission System https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ihic2018 before 11 March 2018 (final deadline).
- Announcement of the call for papers: 22 January 2018
- Deadline for submissions: 11 March 2018
- Evaluation and notification: 11 April 2018
- Camera-papers ready due: 15 May 2018
- IHIC 2018: 11-12 July 2018
IHIC 2018 Scientific Programme Committee
- Bernd Blobel (Co-Chair), Germany
- Philip Scott (Co-Chair), United Kingdom
- Alexander Berler, Greece
- Giorgio Cangioli, Italy
- Daniel Carlson, Sweden
- Heike Dewenter, Germany
- Christof Gessner, Germany
- Edward Hammond, United States of America
- Francois Macary, France
- Alexander Mense, Austria
- Juha Mykkanen, Finland
IHIC 2018 Local Organising Committee
- Philip Scott (Co-Chair), United Kingdom
- Kai Heitmann (Co-Chair), Germany
- Jim Briggs, United Kingdom